- forestall: Even if the United States had had perfect knowledge of Russia's plans, it is unclear what it could have done to President Vladimir Putin's actions, given its limited military assets in the region and lack of desire for conflict with Russia.
- finite: Resources available to U.S. intelligence agencies, ranging from electronic eavesdropping systems and spy satellites to secret agents on the ground, are .
- troublesome: Current and former security officials said the urgent need for intelligence on these targets has meant that U.S. agencies have fewer resources to devote to what they call " global coverag e"- areas that appear to be less or controversial.
- purloin: After first fleeing with his cache of NSA secrets to Hong Kong, Snowden later sought and was granted temporary asylum in Russia.
Select Your Reading Level: All Levels | Easy (Simpler English) | Medium (Intermediate) | Hard (Advanced)
- solemn: Caracas (AFP)- Venezuela marked the anniversary of Hugo Chavez's death Wednesday with a blend of ceremonies, clashes and a break in relations with Panama over protests dogging his successor's presidency.
- sabotage: Maduro also announced an unspecified number of arrests of people he accused of trying to commit on bridges and highways.
- salvo: Soldiers fired a cannon at the hour of Chavez's death, 4:25 pm, from the Mountain Barracks that have become a pilgrimage site for his fervent supporters.